1.16.2011

Karaoke

I hate karaoke. 

I hate everything about it...the people who think one night of karaoke is going to turn them into the next Carrie Underwood, the terrible song choices, the off-tune, whiny, drunk singers. It's just not for me.

Michael, on the other hand LOVES karaoke. He loves it all...the songs, belting out tunes, thinking he's the next Michael Jackson (just kidding). 

Karaoke in Asia is huge. People love it. They rent rooms, gather all their friends and jam all night long. I've never understood the phenomenon and really didn't ever have any interest in experiencing it. I bucked up last night...

We went and did karaoke. 
Our friend, Laura had her younger cousin and friend visiting, so she thought this would be a great night out for them. 
It was amazing! Honestly, I couldn't believe how much fun I had. 
But, I must learn the Single Ladies dance for next time






There were about 10 of us in a room, comfy couches, drinks if you wanted them, a flat screen TV, and the opportunity to choose your own songs. When we arrived they told us we could stay until 5:45 am. What??!? 

We made it until 1:30 and probably could have stayed longer. It really was such a great night. 

I'm still not sure I'm willing to embrace the USA version of karaoke, but I'm definitely warming up to the Asian way. 
Michael's birthday is coming up....we may just be heading back to Causeway Bay to do this again :)
xx,
Lauren

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So funny! Next time, do a video with vocals. Need to hear MP!!! xoxo Anne

Unknown said...

Looks like great fun. I just wish I could carry a tune and make a decent attempt at it. Although I must say in my younger days I think I did try to sing and carry a tune!! Not much success even then!! Great to see the new places and friends. Enjoy your week and keep posting. Poppy.

Amanda said...

So i fully expect to be taken to karaoke the next time I come visit in Hong Kong- I recently discovered that I too can't get enough of the microphone- but I am with you- the Asian way sounds AmAZING

Natasha said...

I am with you on hating Karaoke, but Nick adores it... looking forward to Michael's birthday!!!