2.21.2011

Jaipur

After the Taj, we were back in the car...5.5 hours to Jaipur. I literally felt like our entire Indian adventure was spent in a car, but it's just the way India works.

In between Agra and Jaipur we stopped to visit the Fatehpur Sikri. It's a fortified ghost city made of red sandstone and another one of the World Heritage Sites. 


  It used to be the capital of the Mughal Empire, but was later abandoned due to water shortage. 
 The Mosque is still in use, so people come to visit it and marvel at the sandstone. 


By this time, yes, I was getting a little "palaced" and "forted" out. Luckily, I had 5 more hours in the car to find more stamina :)
We saw some more interesting sights on the drive to Jaipur.

And walked through some of the bazaars once arriving.




Jaipur is known as the "Pink City", but don't let this name fool you into thinking its a quaint, quiet, pristine little town. Yes, the buildings are all painted pink, but Jaipur is overcrowded, polluted, and frustrating. It's full of bazaars and they sell everything from bangles and shoes to puppets and housewares.  
 After our 19th Indian dinner, we called  it a night. 
******************
The next morning we were up early to visit the Amber Fort.  

Most tourists ride elephants up to the top. As much as I wanted to do this, I couldn't. I read about how much these elephants suffer (sunburn, cracked feet, lack of water, and vitamin deficiencies) and couldn't put myself on its back. 
 It looked like a pretty cool way to enter the Fort though. 





The Fort was beautiful. 

 It was built in the late 1500s and used to be the capital of Jaipur. 


I could just imagine the pomp and circumstance that once occurred here. 
We left the Fort and made our way to the City Palace. 

 Don't you love this doorway?!? The detail was impeccable. 


 Lots of weddings are held at the City Palace. While we were there, they were taking down the previous nights fun. 

I was really over the palaces by this point.  
We opted for an Indian lunch here.
 Kinda dodgy looking, but delicious food!
 We took in the last few sights of Jaipur before getting back in the car. 

 (the cows are not friendly). 
 We're finally off to my favorite destination...
See you in Udaipur!
xx,
Lauren
(hang in there with me...only one more India post!)

3 comments:

Lola Loves the Now said...

Lauren,

I love reading about your travels! You do such a wonderful job incorporating the history of each place you visit. I really admire you not getting on the elephant - way to go! Lots of love from Miami!
-Lindsey

Kim said...

Wow Lauren, I am glad to be seeing India through your eyes. I doubt that I'll ever get there, and I'm not sure I'd want to go. Amidst all of the beauty, I would be so bothered by all of the poverty, dirt, and undercurrent that abounds. You and Michael have much braver spirts than I and I have learned so much through your experiences. Keep them coming! xx

Unknown said...

well said kim. not sure india is on the top of my list either. so will continue to travel "virtually" with you and mp!

however, this fort rivals the taj -- a different type of architecture, but spectacular none the less.

anne