11.13.2011

A little catch up

I'm finally pulling myself back to my little space on the Internet, after dragging my feet all week. 

This blog been such a fun way to document our lives over these past 27 months, but it hasn't been completely honest either. I haven't been willing to share our struggles, daily hurdles, and stresses that creep into our lives in such a public forum. Maybe that hasn't been fair, but I preferred to have this be a place for me to come and remember what an amazing experience living abroad has been. And that it has been! 

Pretty soon, "Long Gone..." will be back in the U.S. of A., and I'll close the chapter on it. Until then, I want to make these last few weeks one for the books :)
***
I have been wanting to check out a furniture warehouse in Zhuhai, China, so Bethany traveled with me across the border this week.

So much eye candy. I really could have gone crazy, but my budget (and MP's voice in my ear) deterred me from lots of purchases.




These 2 beauties are coming home with me though. 
Such cute little his/her chairs, huh?
After a little white lacquer paint, I can't wait to see what they'll look like! It really was such a fun day. If you're in HK, I think it's worth checking out. They have a small shop on Hollywood Road, but Zhuhai has 4 large warehouses...finished and unfinished pieces. Truth be told though, it's not really warehouse prices. 

MP left today to go back to the US for work. Poor guy has really been flying the friendly skies lately. While he was in the air, I went to my first Chinese wedding. 


One of my colleagues got married and I was so honored to be invited. The wedding was held at the Happy Valley Racecourse. 
The bride and groom are members of an acapella group here in Hong Kong. 2 minutes after walking down the aisle, she was serenading him. I couldn't believe it!


There was seating for about 30 guests, and the rest of us stood as they ceremony took place. It was obviously in Cantonese, so I'm not sure exactly what was said, but it was really neat to experience how a different culture celebrates marriage. After the ceremony, there was a luncheon and then the guests left. No dancing! Tonight, there will be a banquet and 12 course dinner with close family and friends. 

Thanks for being patient with me as I enter back into blog-land. 
xx,
Lauren

2 comments:

Kim said...

I know you will pack in as much fun as you can these last few weeks. It looks like you've already started! I am anxiously awaiting the first one of you to arrive back to NC....Mr. Dudley! I have loved the experiences and pictures that you shared with all of us from Asia. Thank you, and lots of love.
xx Mom

Little Momma & Co. said...

You go and have the BEST time and soak up everything these last few weeks! I love your new chairs - some shiny laquer would look awesome and a fun print on the cushions, love it!

i don't think you are keeping anything or not being honest - i have learned through past and present struggles that the hard times and struggles will always be with you, you won't ever forget them, they are a part of who you are - it's the fun things, the adventures that you maybe wouldn't remember everything about that you blog about because thats what you want to remember. Those are the things that you might forget - and it's just an awesome way to scrapbook your life. i hope you keep up long gone from your new home in NC :)

Love you!!!