4.29.2010

Operation Rescue Lauren

It's been a traumatic 2 days for us.

I went to Shenzhen yesterday with Ripa. We were having lunch at the Shangri-La Hotel when my purse was stolen. I had it hanging on the back of my chair. When I went to get up, it was gone. Neither of us saw a thing.

The Manager at the hotel reviewed the security footage and confirmed that a woman in a black coat took it. Inside was my phone, wallet, credit cards, money, and PASSPORT.

Ripa and I went to the Shenzhen police station to file a report (it took over 3 hours). I was told there was no way I could get back to Hong Kong that night (by now, I'm a bit hysterical). Michael hopped on the train and arrived around 9pm to stay with me.

We were up early the next day to go to a second police station in Shenzhen to get a letter stating my passport was stolen...(I guess the police report wasn't enough). They proceeded to tell me this "letter" would take 2 business days. I'm SOBBING at this point. After an hour of pleading, I finally was able to persuade the woman to give us the letter so we could go to Guangzhou (where the US Embassy is).

We left at 10:00 for the Embassy in Guangzhou (an hour by train). After sobbing to the Embassy, and pleading my case, a temporary passport was granted. A nice Embassy official took to our side, and immediately started working for us. He seemed to be my Angel today...

We were off to a second location in Guangzhou to obtain an exit visa. After more sobbing, pleading, and a call to the Embassy, the exit visa was granted. We raced back to the train station to board a train back to Hong Kong.

We arrived home at 10:00pm tonight. It's by the grace of God that I'm back tonight. There were so many steps along the way that something could have not worked out. In all honesty, this process should have taken 5 business days.

I will NEVER again leave my purse on the back of my chair. I will keep my passport in my underwear from now on. I learned a valuable lesson. Don't let this happen to you. I can't describe how helpless, vulnerable, and afraid I was... Being in a foreign country with no way to prove your identity. I've never been so glad to be back in Hong Kong.

xx,
Lauren

10 comments:

Kim said...

OH MY GOSH....I am SO glad I didn't know all of this was going on...I would have been SO WORRIED!! Can't wait to skype and hear the details!! Love you, and glad you're safe. Good lesson for all of us!
Mom

Cuentista said...

SO Glad you got home safe and sound and that you had a bunch of little angels along the way to make sure it was a happy ending to a terrible ordeal! Get yourself one of those belts that to wear always and keep your passport and extra cash in it as a SECOND SKIN. Vital when you're living abroad. I know, though, hindsight's 20/20.

Steph said...

oh my gosh! bless your heart!! i am so glad everything worked out and you are back in hong kong!! now you will be seriously in the mood to celebrate the arrival of everyone! have a great time!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! Were you able to cancel everything before she charged with it?!?!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! Were you able to cancel everything before she charged with it?!?!

Unknown said...

Yipes Sweet Lauren- glad you were even able to get a hold of Michael.Uncle Tom called your Dad this afternoon who told him to go to your blog and read about what happened. Pls go buy one of those second skins or belly bags for the future! No more purses to be hung on back of chairs... those professional thieves are unbelieveable. I'm sure your honest tears helped you. Glad you are home & safe! Love You - Aunt Jan, Uncle Tom & Tommy

Amanda said...

Bless your heart- that is not a fun story. If you don't get the underwear fanny pack- then at the very least invest in a European over the shoulder bad, sometimes we must sacrifice fashion for safety! Does this mean you can still go to Vietnam? wow- I hate you had to go through all that...hope to be able to catch up with you soon....

Zach said...

LVP-Such a terrible story. I'm glad to hear you were able to get back "home." Do you think it was a Kong Terrorist that stole your purse? I think if you're going to go with the underwear tactic, you should really invest in some that have plenty of storage room...you never know what else you will want to store in there. I think I remember seeing some pretty nice and baggy granny panties on sale at Target this week. I'll send them to you. Would you like the heart design or the bunny design?

BBL said...

sweet lauren. I am so glad you are back home in hong kong.. safe and sound.

Unknown said...

Lauren, can not imagine how scary all of this was for you and for Michael as well. I'm glad your knight in shining armor was able to rescue his lady....with a little help along the way. Glad all is well and that you have friends coming to visit and make you smile. Have a blast! xoxo Anne