4.14.2010

Weekend Recap

There are a few things/foods (as I've mentioned before) that I really miss about the States.
1). Orbitz Gum
2). Chick-Fil -A
3). Sweet Tea
4). Mexican
5). Southern food 

Well, let me tell you, number 5 was fixed this weekend. We've heard about this private kitchen called Magnolia's since we've arrived.
 A woman from New Orleans has set up shop here in Hong Kong and serves the most delicious southern cuisine. We had a friends bday party Friday night, and she chose Magnolia's for dinner. OH BABY.

Of course I forgot my camera this evening, so you'll have to just listen to me talk about it instead. 

This big, black, sweet woman comes in and says, "As you can see, there are no menus here. You'll eat what I cook". 

We started with a seafood gumbo, followed by a blackened chicken salad. Everything else was family style: fried catfish, ribs, sweet potatoes, smothered okra and tomatoes, cornbread, collard greens, and  shrimp etouffee with rice. Pecan Pie finished us off. It was delicious. 

In the middle of dinner, one of the British girls at our table was telling us during her gap year she spent time in the States, and somehow ended up at a Davidson College KA spring formal. They were in Charleston for the weekend and one of the guys came up to her and asked her to "shag". She was APPALLED, and said, absolutely not! Michael and I were one of the few who knew "shag" was a dance...of course we busted it out in the middle of dinner, singing "I love Beach Music". Oh, how we miss the South!

Sunday morning we joined some friends for brunch at the HK Football Club. 


We ended up at our apartment later that afternoon for some bowling.

Great weekend here in Hong Kong. We watched clips of the Masters on the internet, but I really missed being lulled asleep courtesy of the Master's music. I love that. 
xx,
Lauren


No comments: