6.17.2010

Row Your Boat

Yesterday was a bank holiday in Hong Kong...we were celebrating Dragon Boating. 
We headed out to Stanley... in the 100% humidity day... to watch the races. Dragon Boat races have been happening for over 4 decades. There were more than 4000 paddlers and 130 teams that participated this year.  It was way crowded....
The paddlers row in unision to a beating drums and gongs.


Junks will tie up so spectators can watch from the water.
Many teams dress up in crazy costumes.

We were cheering hard for Morgan Stanley, as Damien was part of the team.

I think they ended up coming in 3rd overall, which is an amazing feat for a bank team. 
Here we are...hot, sweaty, and loving Hong Kong. 
xx,
Lauren

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I am proud to say that I knew about the Dragon Boats! Only because I was in the office for a conference call at 7:30 a.m. (AUGH) with Asia. And the participation was quite sparse. So I checked out the Hong Kong holiday schedule. My gosh! So many holidays! We Americans need to get our priorities in order. Less work, more tea, less stress, more holidays! xoxoxo Anne

Lauren said...

Hey Anne! Finally figuring out I can RESPOND to comments...you'd think I would have figured this out by now :) MP likes to remind me it's only 1 more than the US this year, as so many fell on Saturday's....hoping for more weekly holidays next year! SO excited to see you. Just a few more weeks!

Unknown said...

Well, maybe it seems like a zallion days off as we are speaking with several countries, ie. Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, London, etc. Everyone has a different schedule, and the 5-12 hour time difference as well. Meetings get complicated around the weekends, too! Only we crazy Americans want to work on the weekends! I think we should chill out a bit! xoxo Anne