5.06.2011

Rewinding to Vietnam

I feel so behind, and our trips to Vietnam and Cambodia are starting seem like a distant memory. Let's back up a bit...
 MP and I flew to Ho Chi Minh (or Saigon, as the locals refer to it) over Easter. This city made me fall more in love with Vietnam. I can't speak highly enough of this country and each place I visit here makes we want to go back again, and again. The food is outstanding, the people are so gracious, the landscape is diverse, and the culture is rich with history and charm. I could go on, and on...

Sidenote:
 Last year, when we checked out Hanoi, I couldn't wait to get out of there! Looking back, (and now with a bit more perspective), I'd love to give Hanoi a second chance. I think the things that really bothered me the first time wouldn't be so much of an issue this go around. After India, I think Hanoi would be a breeze :) 
 Our first stop was the Cu Chi tunnels (constructed by the Vietcong). They were amazing and it was a bit surreal to be walking in the same woods that were home to so much blood-shed. 
 We had a chance to go in one of the original tunnels. We made it in (the girl before me got stuck and her pants were coming down as she was wiggling up...I almost chickened out after that :)
Some have been widened for tourists. 


 We saw the traps that were constructed by the Vietcong. So in-humane and I can't imagine the pain that so many men endured. 
 There was a shooting range too. As we were walking through the tunnels, you could hear shots being fired. It made the experience more intense, for sure. 
 Michael is standing in a crater caused by B52. 
 We did brave the tunnels and crawled about 100 feet through them. 
 Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine what it was like living in these. 

 Here is how air was pumped into the tunnels. The Vietcong were smart and the air holes were at least 50 yards away from the tunnels and really well camouflaged.  

After the tunnels, we walked the streets of Saigon. 


 Got our fill of Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup, and possibly my favorite food on the planet) at an adorable restaurant;

Walked through the Reunification Palace (formally the Presidential Palace), and site of the end of the Vietnam War during the fall of Saigon on April 30, 1975. A North Vietnamese army tank crashed through its gates, ending the war.




 We went to the War Remnants Museum. As with many of the sites we visited, there was lots of propaganda, so although the museum was disturbing and parts were tough to see, we had to keep in mind that propaganda was also playing a role. 


 I was sad to leave Vietnam, as I'm not sure we'll make it back, but we were off to Cambodia to meet up with our friends, Nick and Natasha for some templing! More to come...
xx,
Lauren

No comments: