3.04.2010

Art Village

On Tuesday I took a trip with the YWCA to Shenzhen, to the Art Village. It's about an hour and a half drive from Hong Kong, and we went via charter bus (so we had a place to store our artwork!)


The Art Village has tons of small shops and galleries. In many of them, you'll see painters hard at work. There was a little bit of everything there: contemporary, modern, scenic, watercolor, portraits, etc. The artists will copy a painting for you, or paint something from a photograph. The framing is dirt-cheap too. 

My white walls are bare, as we didn't bring any of our artwork from home with us. I was looking for a few pieces to spruce up the place. I never realized how much I would miss color on my walls. I'm living amongst white walls again---ugh! 

What do you think of my new pieces? You should have seen me lugging these two back through customs and then putting them in a taxi. 


I have to get the handyman to come and hang the one above the couch. The walls are concrete here, and well...there isn't exactly a Home Depot around the corner. 

I'd love it if you'd come see them in person! 
We do have some visitors arriving soon...The entire Vater Crew will be here in 8 days! 
I. AM. SO. EXCITED!!
xx,
Lauren

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Those are great! Where is the second one? I guess there are only so many places it could be- hallway? bedroom? Very cool. I am pumped that your parents are heading over. How exciting. Remember. Go easy on them at first :)!

Cuentista said...

LOVE the one above the couch! My biggest regret from Ethiopia (besides not being able to stay longer)was not bringing home a painting I fell in love with in a gallery there. I was concerned it wouldn't survive my South Africa trip and I couldn't really afford to ship it. You will treasure those forever. What an amazing opportunity. To always be able to say "Oh yes, I picked that up in Shenzen when my husband and I were living in Hong Kong" NICE. :-) Did you see my Ethioslideshow on fb? I'm going to put some stills up this weekend. I've also been asked to write a blog for church about the trip. I'll forward for your blogging approval if I do so! LOL. Have a great weekend!!!

Unknown said...

Yes, bare walls = no energy in the home. I think you made a wise decision to bring the local color and joy into your lives at home. As Lindsey says you can enjoy back in the USA, too.

So excited about your family coming to visit. I know it will be a wonderful time of love and adventure for everyone.

xoxo Anne