3.25.2010

A little culture...

My friend KC has some visitors in town, so we took the chance to head out to the new territories on Tuesday. We hiked around Sai Kung and down to the beach. It was gorgeous and the views were amazing, despite the weather. The pollution in Hong Kong has been TERRIBLE this week. Check out this article to read more about it. They grey skies in these pictures are part weather/part pollution. Pretty nasty, huh? 






I'm excited to check out Sai Kung again, once the weather is a bit nicer. The beach was beautiful! After our hike we took a sampan (boat) back to town. We walked around the small fishing village. The fish were huge. You can pick your delicacy and the restaurants will cook it for you...fish, lobster, squid, crab, etc. 


Look at this guy!
Everyone says the restaurants are great, but we haven't ventured out there yet. That evening, we got a reservation at the China Club for dinner. It's atop the Bank of China Building, and very reminiscient of a 1930's tea house. The artwork is contemporary, yet the ambiance is very old China. It's beautiful inside.

There is a tea show and noodle show every night. 




I'm sorry the pictures aren't the best, but you get the idea. Pretty crazy, huh? I loved watching the noodle man.
As if I didn't have enough culture for one week, Michael and I went to the ballet last night. We saw Don Quixote, and it was so good! The last ballet I saw was the Nutcracker, so I didn't know exactly what to expect. I think I've decided I now want to be a ballerina. Is it too late? The theater was in Kowloon, so I had to snap some pictures of the skyline on our way back to the ferry. I never get tired of seeing this magnificent city.

The picture above is the Cultural Center.

Hope everyone is having a great week!
xx,
Lauren

No comments: