12.08.2011

Siem Reap take 2

This was our second time in Siem Reap and I loved it just as much as the first time (maybe even more!) The Cambodian people are so gracious. The city is lively, there are beautiful hotels all over the place, the markets are vibrant, and of course, Angkor Wat is just stunning. 
 It's the perfect weekend get-away, or if you're traveling through Southeast Asia, it's a must for your itinerary. 
Bananas? 
We flew into Phnom Penh and stayed Friday night. We left early Saturday morning and drove 5.5 hours to Siem Reap. Not ideal, and I wouldn't recommend it again, but in order for us to use miles for the flight, we had to do it. We had great company on the ride though, which made it more than bearable!
 Justin sported his "go fast" beard. 
We picked up our race numbers on Saturday and had a great dinner with friends Saturday night. 


We were up at 5:00am Sunday morning for the race. We traveled via tuk-tuk to the start line. It was so fun watching everyone arrive as it was pitch-black outside.
Sage was our lone supporter and took some of these amazing pictures. 



After a little stretching and trying to ease our nerves, 6:30 came and we were off.


I had a rough race. I started hurting around mile 6, and then I think my mental toughness started to dwindle.
 I don't know if my nerves got the best of me or what, but those last 7 miles were painful. I never really found my groove. I said to myself I'd never do another half again, but even now, I'm starting to forget the pain, and think I want to try and redeem myself. 
We finished though! 
 Although Michael looks like he didn't break a sweat, I promise he ran 13 miles. 

We spent the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying Siem Reap. 
I'm thinking of doing the Tar-heel 10 miler in April. Not sure I'm ready for another half...yet....
Anyone want to join?!?
 I sure could use some tips :)
xx,
Lauren

No comments: