8.27.2009

House Hunting

We've had a busy couple of days. Today we spent the day looking at about 12 permanent, pet-friendly apartments. I was pleasantly surprised at how big they were. Most were over 1000 square feet with 2-3 bedrooms. Usually the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms are just big enough for a twin bed, but if we have 1 twin bed in each room that means we can sleep a total of 4 people. See, I'm just looking out for all of you who will come and visit! I think we've decided that we really like living in the city. It's so different from NC and we want to take this opportunity to really experience a different kind of life. I love being able to walk to dinner and stroll afterwards. Having said that, look at the place we're passing up.
http://www.bel-air.com.hk/cyberport/jsp/index.html
We visited Bel Air today and it was amazing. Our view would be right out over the ocean. There are 8 different towers, a gigantic pool and gym. It's about a 25 minute taxi ride into the city, which is the downside. There is a large ex-pat community that lives here, but without a car you are isolated. I don't think Michael or I want to drive in this city! I was carsick just driving around today. The roads wind around the mountain and are so steep that I thought I was going to lose it a few times. I'll keep you updated on what we finally choose. I'm sure we'll go out and look at it at least one more time.

I went yesterday to the YWCA and joined a women's group called the "At Home" group. It's for women who are newcomers/ex-pats to Hong Kong. We'll meet every Monday from 9-2:30 for 4 weeks starting September 7. I'm really excited about this and hope it will help me feel plugged in. I still can't believe this is my "home" for the next couple years. I think it's slowly starting to sink in.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm loving this blog! Thanks for keeping us all updated! xoxo, klein

Amanda said...

I can't believe you are passing on Bel-Air. That link you sent makes ME want to move to Hong Kong. But I guess being that far removed from the city would be difficult. Besides the pictures make the place look more like a resort in the Bahamas, than a place to settle down in! At least make some good friends out there so you can swim in their pool! So glad you joined the women's group, it sounds like it will such a great way to connect with other people and learn the ropes. Can't wait to hear more about it!