8.31.2009

Sous-Chef Lauren takes on: Thai Brown Rice


Cooking thus far has proven quite challenging for us. Our kitchen is the size of a closet and we have no oven. At home we cook EVERYTHING either on the grill or in the oven. Having neither of these 2 Phipps necessities has been a test. Last night we decided to cook rice with our skillet chicken. We stopped by the Park-N-Shop to get rice. We searched the small aisles for awhile looking for boxes of rice and then figured out rice comes in bags in this part of the world...in LARGE bags: 4lbs, 5 lbs, 7 lbs, 10 lbs, 20 lbs. OK, I admit; maybe it was a bit much to ask for "Uncle Ben's" or heaven forbid, my trusty "Minute Rice". After much deliberation we opted for the 3 lb bag of Thai Brown Rice. The directions were in Chinese. That's okay. I'm sure we can manage this cooking rice thing. I went home put in 2 cups rice and 2 cups water and started to boil it. I don't think Michael trusted my cooking skills because he started googling directions. After an hour of cooking and 4 more cups of water, we ended up with about 10 pounds of sticky, gooey, rice porridge. Needless to say, our dinner tonight was Red Beans and Rice. YUM.



Here are some pictures of where some of our shopping happens. I haven't yet braved the fish or meat stand.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A 20 pound bag of rice! Holy, moly!! How long does that last for 2 people -- a couple of months! Maybe you can ask for recipes in your YWCA girls group, or find someone to take you to the fish and meat markets. Meat, I don't know....but, I'd definitely try the fish. :-) Anne & John

Amanda said...

I knew it was only a matter of time before there would be a post about food and cooking...I tried to warn you to pack craisins, but I guess we should put "Minute Rice" on the list of perishable to bring you, huh? But you have to eat all your thai brown rice first! I love the beach photos too- every time I read your blog, I find myself looking up plane tickets to Hong Kong....

Steph said...

oh my gosh!! that is crazy!! bless your heart...i mean, i don't know why you didn't just go ahead and get the 20 lb. bag!! are you kidding me?!?! do they sell george foreman's over there??

Kendra said...

I was wondering what all you all could do in your tiny kitchen. Where did you store all of your pounds of leftover rice :) I think your next fashion pick up needs to be the hat like the lady on the beach. you could start a new beach trend. Mark and I found some great tickets and after reading and seeing the pics we can't wait to come see you all.