10.22.2009

First trip to China

No, it wasn't as glamorous as Beijing or the Great Wall, but for any woman who loves to shop, it was pretty amazing...Today I ventured with 5 other girls across the border to Shenzhen. I've been hearing about Shenzhen from the day I got here: "you've got to go", "just buy it in Shenzhen", "handbags galore". I don't think I fully understood how amazing this place was until today. All I can say is that I won't buy one more thing from Hong Kong during my time here.


Posing with my new $7 Ray Bans

Once off of the MTR, we walked into a shopping mall of five floors. There are shops around every corner that sell anything you can think of: beautiful silks, cashmere pashminas, mink, fur, leather, beads, pearls, shoes, sunglasses, watches, polo shirts, tea, duvets, sheets, custom made draperies and pillows...I could go on and on. There are tailors that will copy anything you like, or make you something new. I saw DVF fabrics, Channel fabrics, and the fabric from a JCrew skirt hanging in my closet. Honestly, I just walked around with my jaw wide open. How much for a hand-made dress? Oh, $30. A men's suit? About $70 including fabric. WHAT??? I KNOW.

Having a tea lesson and sampling white tea. Delicious!

You name it, they have it. Want a handbag? Name which one and they'll find it. Better yet, they'll pull out the catalog for you to browse through. Are they fake? It's up for debate. I would say yes, but the quality is unbelievable. A girl from New York was with us, and all she kept saying was how much Shenzhen puts China Town to shame. It really is unlike anyplace I've ever seen.

We went to the "warehouse" of one of the shop owners. We phoned her, and discretely followed an employee out of the shopping mall into another building, up 12 floors and into a small apartment. Upon walking in, you immediately smell the leather and then you see the goods....the most beautiful handbags and wallets. I did buy one or two :) But I won't tell you what...I'll leave you in suspense until you plan your trip to come and visit me!


Barb, all I could think of was you when I got to the jewelry. Bring an extra suitcase for the beads when you come.

I can't wait to take you! Just make sure to get a Chinese Visa before you get here. I snapped a few pictures, but it's so hard to even describe it. I can't wait for you to see it for yourself!

4 comments:

Cuentista said...

I can smell the leather from here! Sounds like a shopgirl's fantasy land!

Unknown said...

So should I sent my Christmas shopping list to you today? :-) Anne

Amanda said...

Sounds like I will be doing a lot of my Christmas shopping in China! Can't wait- how long does it take to get a Chinese Visa?!? better hurry...

Unknown said...

Lauren, I found this interesting article on wine (one of your favs)in Hong Kong from the NYTimes. Check it out. xoxo Anne
http://globespotters.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/hong-kong-celebrates-the-grape/