10.20.2009

Sweet Singapore

Michael had a conference last week in Singapore, so I left my day job for a few days (ha!) and joined him. As he was slaving away, Miss. Independent was out exploring. Singapore is beautiful...much more green than Hong Kong, beautiful trees hang over the streets, and lush flowers are everywhere.

Here's a run-down of my Singapore adventures:


On Thursday, I hit up Orchard Road....shops, shops, shops, and more shops. I was exhausted by the end of the day. I was so excited to find a GAP, as it was one of the few stores I could afford. I bought myself a new pair of skinny jeans. If it ever creeps under 80 degrees here in HK, I'll bust them out. That night, we went to the Raffles Hotel. Michael was fond of the Long Bar...where you eat peanuts and throw the shells on the floor. He enjoyed his Tiger Beer as I sipped my Singapore Sling. We wandered along the Clark Quay waterfront taking in the sights, restaurants, and people mingling about.


Michael's co-worker Nic, is from Singapore. His family still lives there, so his mother, Mrs. Lee offerred to show me around on Friday. She was so sweet to spend the day with me, and took me to many hot-spots in Singapore. We went to Boon Tong Kee for Chicken Rice...a favorite meal of Singaporeans, to see the Fullerton Hotel (an old post office), the Malay Village, little India, and to the famous fountain, Merlion. The Merlion is a hybrid of a lion and a fish. The lion head alludes to the fabled beast that once roamed the island, while its fish body symbolizes Singapore's origin as a prosperous seaport.

After a whirlwind few days in Singapore, it was off to Indonesia for the weekend...

No comments: