10.02.2009

Happy National Day!

The People's Republic of China marked its 60th birthday yesterday, October 1. It's just like our 4th of July...a day off work, fireworks galore, and celebrating with family. Sixty years ago, China was a poor, rural country where the average person could expect to live only until his mid 30's. Today, China is a global power, life expectancy has more than doubled, and the cities around the country are filled with skyscrapers and a booming economy. It's pretty amazing what can happen in 60 years.

How did we celebrate National Day? Oh, doing what we do best in HK...shopping at Ikea! I think we may hate Ikea more than Horizon Plaza. We bought 2 beds, bedding, duvet covers, shelves, and more bits and bobs (another favorite British term I love). We then had dinner with a group of friends at WoolooMooloo in Kowloon. It was right on the water with a spectacular view of Hong Kong Island and the fireworks spectacle. I found a great spot to take you for drinks overlooking the water when you come. The view is amazing!

As you all are starting to pull out your long sleeve gear and watch the leaves change, we're still sweating our brains out and planning days to lounge poolside...I have a few friends in Bel Air, so we're anxious to use their pool (which closes the end of October!) Enjoy the fireworks pictures, as the weather on October 1 felt more like July 4.
xx,

L

2 comments:

Kendra said...

So glad to hear the move went well and I can't wait to see your place :) I think I finally have mark convinced to just buy a webcam versus a new computer. Hopefully by next week we can chat live! That made my night last week. I miss you!!

Amanda said...

Finally! You updated the blog! I know its sad, but I was starting to feel very disconnected and worried that something bad had happened- I need the blog! I can't imagine buying new everything- sounds overwhelming- but maybe a little fin too! Who doesn't love to shop! We are headed to your old stomping ground this weekend in Raleigh for a wedding- won't be the same without you guys around to drop in on, but I will survive. Miss you and can't wait to see pictres of the new place!