10.07.2009

Little Surprises

I remember when we bought 8000 Haymarket Lane we thought it was perfect...well, besides the floor, paint color, popcorn ceilings, poor lighting, outdoor fence, deck, and landscaping. It was perfect in our eyes and just needed a little handy work. I remember thinking it was "no big deal" to JUST scrape the ceilings.

We didn't buy Flat 27 C, Block 1 at 80 Robinson. We're just renting it. I was over the moon when we saw it. The view wowed me, and the rooms were spacious (in HK standards), and it had an oven! I was so excited to find a place that we loved...However, there are some things we seemed to overlook 3 weeks ago when we decided to rent it.

1). There is no microwave. I think I was so excited about the oven that the microwave never even entered my mind. Not a huge deal, but when I went to re-heat my chicken a few nights ago, I suddenly realized this. Just another trip to Fortress....and another delivery.

2). There are no plugs in the bathroom. WHAT IN THE WORLD? How do you have no PLUGS in the BATHROOM? After spending 15 minutes looking behind the toilet, in all the drawers, on top of the mirror, even at the bottom of the bathtub, we realized there really are no plugs. My British friends tell me this is quite normal in the UK. When I asked them about the plugs, they looked surprised and said, "Why would you mix water and electricity?" I replied, "I am a stupid American. Where am I supposed to dry my hair now?"
3). We have a washer/dryer. Another thing to be excited about! The washer and dryer are literally the same machine. Sounds like it wouldn't work, right? Well, you are exactly right. The washer works, the dryer is rubbish. It doesn't dry a damn thing. Not a big deal...we'll just get drying racks. Michael was such a good husband and popped into Wing On on his way home last night for a drying rack. He called and said he found a great one---it holds over 40 pieces of clothing. PERFECT! Well...................he brought home a spaceship, not a drying rack. It's HUGE and I have no idea where it's going to go once all the furniture gets here. We're now looking into laundry services.
Needless to say, we've had quite a few laughs over the past week as we try and settle in and make this place feel like home. I think once Dudley arrives, and is plopping down on the floors it will feel so much better. We're shooting for the end of October. I CANNOT WAIT!



xx,

Lauren

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lauren, no house is perfect -- not even the ones you build yourself (darn contractors). The fun is in putting your mark on it and making it a home. You and Michael will have fun, I promise. Even if your hair is wet and clothes are wrinkled.... :-) Anne

Amanda said...

you were totally cracking me up about the flat at 80 Robinson- mostly because in my head I can clearly hear you ranting about no plug in the bathroom and the audacity of not having a microwave (which by the way I have lived without for over 4 years now). But my ultimate FAVORITE part of this post was when I saw the 4th of July Phipps Lake Weekend t-shirt on the spaceship drying rack!!

Little Momma & Co. said...

Oh, I love it!!!! Isn't it funny how that happens? You go in and are blown away by so many things about the house and then after it's yours you go - wait?! I know you will have it looking amazing - I can't wait to see all of the furniture! I about peed myself about the spaceship - that is too funny! I hope you guys can find a laundry service and I am so happy you think Dudley will arrive this month!!! He must miss you guys so much :)