9.17.2009

Me...a Reader?

No. I would not use this adjective to describe myself, so imagine the look on my face when some ladies in my YWCA group decided they wanted to start a book club. A book club? Really? How about a wine club, supper club, Bunco? No. They wanted a book club. I told them I would come to book club, for the wine...maybe I'd read the book.


I mean, I don't really have anything against reading. I love browsing through US Weekly, People, Fitness, or Self at the gym, or reading TMZ on the computer (my latest favorite pastime). I am currently on the 3rd book in the Twilight Series, Eclipse. Do you see a pattern? I like celebrity gossip, fitness/trashy magazines, and books made for high schoolers.


My group chose The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee. Ugh. The ladies in my group are so sweet and really, what else do I have going on, so I gave into book club. I trudged down to Dymocks (the book store) in the middle of the typhoon to buy this $111 book ($14 US)....FOR A PAPERBACK. It's a book about Hong Kong before the war, I only have a month to read it, and the print is WAY smaller than Twilight. How am I ever going to get through this?

I started it last night... and LOVE it! I just can't put it down.Go buy yourself a copy. We can even have a chat about it over skype...our own virtual book club! Maybe book club won't be so bad, but you better believe it, I'm bringing the wine :)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

ok- I am sold. I am ordering it off amazon.com as we speak and can't wait to talk you about it- on skype, gmail chat and even in person!! Loved this post- it was so "Lauren" - Hope you are having a good week. Love to Michael. Lila and David say hi too!

lesliemcguire said...

You are very funny Vater! XOXO. Love reading about your "happenings" over there. Chat soon!