9.18.2009

"Rent a Friend"

Susan, a lady in my group's husband calls my YWCA group the "Rent a Friend" group. I think it's absolutely hilarious! Let's be honest...we all signed up to meet friends, so is there really a better name?
We went out last night for cocktails and dinner. I had the best time (I'm sure the 2 mojitos and wine helped though!) The women in my group are just great. We range in age from 23 to 52. Even though we're all over the spectrum, we're all just trying to make our way in Hong Kong and are quickly becoming good friends. I feel so lucky to have found a crew of women so early on and am starting to feel just a wee bit plugged in. Have a peek at another group I joined: (http://www.sassyhongkong.com/). Maybe my full-time job will be just joining groups. This one was started by a YWCA "At Home" group a few years back. This is the first course for "Settle in with Sassy", so we'll see how it goes. It is every Wednesday in October, and I'm hoping it's geared toward younger women sans kids.

I met a girl today for coffee that I bumped into in the elevator. Her name is Rachel and she has been here 3 weeks. Her and her husband were in Dubai for the past year and now are in HK. They are originally from the UK. She's really sweet, so I'm trying to get her to join Sassy with me.

I've decided to end my emails like the British do:

1) Because I secretly wish I was British
2) Because I love their names for certain words (jumper=sweater; trousers=pants; rubbish=awful)
3) Because it's "just lovely" to do so!

Until next time,

xx, (kiss! kiss!)
Lauren

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lauren, I'm detecting a "wine" pattern in the last couple of posts! :-) Glad that you are finding girl friends to help you navigate your way in HK. We girls need our "girls!" Love, Anne
PS. John would like the UK comments. I still have times where he'll hit me up with a word and I'm bamboozled! Funny. I thought we both spoke English!