9.21.2009

Patience is a Virtue

Today my group went on an outing to Wong Tai Sin and the Chi Lin Nunnery. Both are in Kowloon, about a 25 minute MTR ride (subway). It's amazing that in the middle of the hustle and bustle of a metropolitan city that places like these exist.

Wong Tai Sin is a Daoist temple and one of Kowloon's most popular places of worship. Believers flock here to ask for good health, but maybe most importantly, to seek advice on stocks and horseracing. Ha! There is a dense smoke of incense sticks and you can hear the chim rattling. Chim is a container holding fortune sticks, well, they actually are just popsicle sticks. You must think of a question and then grab a container of chim and shake it until a number falls out. Lucky number 52 fell out for me today.

You take your number and go across the temple to the 2 floors of fortune tellers. Here, you can have your number, palm, or face read. I wanted the palm, but $500 HK dollars ($65 US) seemed a little steep. I opted for the $4 number reading. I guess you get what you pay for. Here is the poem that went with my number:

"The sky was first formed through floating pure air; Whereas foul vapour congealed into the great earth. Neither pure nor foul was the man in the middle. One must be able to distinguish their equal worth".

He basically told me, in the most roundabout way, that I have no patience and not to look for work for 3 months. He also said 2009 was not my year. Super. Don't ask me how he drew those conclusions from the poem, but hopefully my luck will be better in 2010. Lucky 52.
We headed to the Chi Lin Nunnery next. It's a beautiful Buddhist wooden complex of over 80,000 building units. We walked through the gardens and had lunch in a small restaurant. I can't wait to take you here when you come visit!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Whow!! Lauren I am just gettting around to reading your recent blogs. I am out of breath!! Day trips, lunchs, dinners with the gals, two days of shopping and a book club adventure!! You are touching all bases. That is great. It is really a big city and since you are going to be there for a while why not try out something different. Keep up the searches and reaching out to others. You are really getting the swing of things. Your blogs are great reading, just like your new book. Keep them coming. Gene

Kendra said...

No need to get a job - your exploring and meetings will keep you busy! I can't wait to see your place this spring and see how your shopping paid off. I am sure it will be nothing short of spectacular. When is Duds coming over?

Lots of love!
XOXO - K

Amanda said...

I could use a little peaceful and serene in my life these days...no temples in midtown Charlotte to go relax in, only a Target, and we know that isn't very relaxing. Love to hear you are still staying social- sounds like you are having the time of your life...what about Michael? We don't hear much of him lately- you ever going to let him hijack the blog for one entry on what he is doing while you are out and about? I like the number 52, very close to 59....which is the number of days till I come visit!! Lastly- I love the dress you are wearing at Wong Tai Sin- is that new?!?!